One can build a strong technical team on the basis of Red Hat Certified Engineer training. Red Hat provides a hand-on, practical certification that helps professionals work on enterprise products. These products are mostly used on the Red Hat Linux servers and are helpful for several enterprises around the world.
The Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) is recognised as a certification needed to become a Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA). Those who want to become certified engineers need to clear the RHCE exam (EX300). As per the information available on the Red Hat website, it is a 2-hour, performance-based, hands-on exam. The pattern varies from one year to another. Preparation for this exam can be best done at a reputed training institute, under the guidance of able Red Hat trainers.
Difference between RHCE and RHCSA
The RHCSA is lower in qualification than the RHCE. In order to become the certified Red Hat engineer, the System Administrator needs to have many more skills, abilities and knowledge. Only then can he or she become an administrator for Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems.
Tasks carried out by an RHCE
The following tasks need to be done by the RHCE on a daily basis. These are in addition to the regular RHCSA tasks:
- Setting the kernel runtime parameters
- Packet filtering and translation of network addresses
- Completing the configuration of static routes
- Utilisation of shell scripting for automation of system maintenance tasks
- Being able to configure a system that provides networking services, such as FTP, HTTPS, NFS, SMTP and NTP
Target audience for the course
The following types of professionals can be considered eligible for this course:
- Windows administrators who are keen to learn about Linux administration
- Security professionals who can understand Linux administration after completing this training
- Experience system administrators in Linux
- IT professionals who wish to make a career out of Linux system administration
Experts would recommend you to take the RHCE exam, even if you want to become a Linux system administrator. It helps the administrators sharpen their skills and also proceed to the next level, irrespective of whether they make use of Red Hat or not. The certification exam covers a significant amount of material to create a strong foundation for any Linux user, even without a high degree of Red Hat knowledge.
Tips to do well at the RHCE exam
- Make sure you keep an eye on the clock. If you get stuck on a problem for too long, time can really work against you.
- Ensure that you have time at the end of the exam for last minute checks.
- Make sure you reboot before leaving
- Practice as much as you can.
To gain greater amount of Red Hat knowledge, make sure you enrol for Red Hat training at a reputed institute.