Simply being qualified for a job may get you an interview, but it wont get you the job itself. Thats where interview skills come in.
Smart employers dont expect job candidates to be perfectly polished interviewees, but some turnoffs that might seem minor on your end can be deal-breakers on the employer’s end. Here are five common ways candidates turn off their interviewers without even realizing it.
1. Not speaking in specifics. Interviewers are trying to understand exactly what youve accomplished in the past and how you operate. If your answers are overly vague, youre going to make it very hard for them to assess whether youre the right fit for the job. For example, theres a big difference between I know a ton about online marketing and In my last role, I headed up our online marketing team and was responsible for increasing our social media engagement by 40 percent. I did that by Who would you be more interested in hiring
2. Rambling or being too long-winded. Giving long, rambling answers can signal that you are not able to organize your thoughts well and convey information reasonably quickly – and it can be annoying for an interviewer who has a number of questions to get through and limited time to do it. In some cases, being overly long-winded can also signal that you dont pick up on conversational cues if your interviewer is looking impatient or disengaged or rushing you through an answer, it might be a sign that you need to shorten your answers. Pay attention to time cues, too if your interviewer tells you at the start of the conversation that she has 45 minutes and a lot of questions to ask, that means you shouldn’t spend 10 minutes answering the first question.
Of course, you dont want to go to the opposite extreme and give answers so short that theyre not helpful. If you are unsure, you can also ask, Did that give you what you’re looking for, or would you like me to talk more in-depth about this?
3. Not understanding the basics of what the organization does or the job itself. Obviously, you cant be expected to know every detail as an outsider, and some job ads are frustratingly vague, but if you seem to lack basic knowledge that was in the job posting or available on the companys website, you will come across as unprepared and disengaged. When I interview someone who asks me basic questions that were answered on our website, I assume they’ll be an employee who isn’t terribly resourceful or self-sufficient.
4. Playing coy about questions you dont want to answer. Sometimes job candidates try to avoid talking about subjects that they worry will be unflattering, like why they left their last job or whether they have ever been fired. But most experienced interviewers can see right through attempts to avoid direct answers, and you can end up looking evasive or disingenuous. Youre usually going to come across far better if you own whatever the answer is and present it confidentially and without defensiveness. If an interviewer has to dig and dig to get an answer, you could end up looking untrustworthy.
5. Minimizing or dismissing concerns about your fit for the job. This is a tough one for many people, because job seekers are typically told to sell themselves for the job they are interviewing for – but good interviewers dont want to be sold they want to have an open discussion about your fit for the job. If an interviewer notes that you havent had much experience with a crucial part of the job, she looking for a candid conversation with you about how much of an obstacle thats likely to be. Or if an interviewer expresses a concern about the fact that you had be moving from a very casual culture to a much more buttoned-up one, he seeking a real discussion of the likely challenges with such a transition. If you brush off these concerns without really engaging with your interviewer about them, you are not likely to resolve the concern you are just likely to make your interviewer worry that you dont quite grasp why the concern matters.
Police Interview Tips
The interview is the first opportunity for an agency to meet you. Therefore, you want to make a good. Read More
Improving Health and Education in Darfur by EU and UNICEF
On Monday, Feb. 3, the EU and UNICEF began the implementation of two projects in the Darfur region o. Read More
5 Outsourcing Mistakes That You Should Avoid Making
Offshore outsourcing is an extremely profitable business venture. However, all it takes is a slight . Read More
State gets Rs 838 crore for education
Bhanu P Lohumi Tribune News Service Shimla, April 12 An all-time high allocation of Rs 838 crore . Read More
How beneficial is Dassault Systemes CATIA software to the product desi
The distinctive abilities of Computer Aided Three-Dimensional Interactive Application (CATIA) has ma. Read More
ANIMAX HEALTHCARE PVT. LTD. - Supplier and manufacturer of veterinary pharmaceuticals products, veterinary pharmaceuticals product, veterinary products, animal healthcar
MF InfoTech, a Leading Website & Software Development Company, is offering Online Brand Promotion of Your Company to all Social Networking Sites like Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus. Get Hug
Admission Open-2012 one yr Program in Nursery Teacher Training one yr Program in Primary Teacher training one yr B.Ed(Admission guidance) 100% placement assistance one month training in sch
INDOSS Institute is a leading institute and the only specialized institute imparting comprehensive training program to students preparing for Bank PO and clerical exams. INDOSS INSTITUTE BECO
Get Your Professional Design Website @999 Only Gat your high quality website only Rs.999. Package include CMS,E-cart, Discussion Boards,Image Galleries, 10mb space ,3email account,1Gb transfer, free